Thursday, April 16, 2009

TBR Challenge April 2009

Well once again I'm coming in just under the wire. This month it was Urban Fantasy, Paranormal, or SF. I started Tempt Me With Darkness, but I didn't finish it on time, so last night I checked through my eBooks and found a gem I'd purchased from Samhain and had yet to read.

“Wolf Signs” by Vivian Arend
Buy from MBaM!
Genre:
ISBN: 978-1-60504-476-7
Length: NovellaPrice: 3.50
Publication Date: March 24, 2009
Cover art by Angie Waters

Talk about getting your signals crossed…

Granite Lake Wolves, Book 1

Robyn Maxwell doesn’t care that her brother has to cancel out on their backcountry ski trip. She can do it alone. The fact she’s deaf doesn’t make her survival skills any weaker. The chance to get away from it all and relax in the Yukon wilderness is just what she’s been craving.

Meeting wilderness guide Keil at the cabin starts cravings of another kind. Keil’s one hot hunk of ripped, tasty male. Now she has to deal with raging hormones as well as strange questions about wolves and mates and challenges to the death.

Keil was trying for a nice reflective retreat before challenging for the Alpha position of his Alaskan pack. He wasn’t planning on meeting the woman destined to be his mate, or finding out she’s not aware she has the genes of a wolf.

Between dealing with his accident-prone younger brother, a deaf mate with an attitude and an impending duel to the death, his week—and his bed—is suddenly full.

Far from the relaxing getaway any of them had in mind…

Warning: Gives a whole new meaning to the phrase “talking with your hands”. Includes dangerous use of sarcasm and hot nookie in a remote wilderness sauna.


WOLF SIGNS is the first book in Ms. Arend's Granite Lake wolves series. It has a multitude of pluses that had me enjoying this book all the way through. Starting with the Heroine, she is feisty, bossy, independent and oh yeah deaf to boot, but she doesn't let it stop her, in fact it makes her want her independence more. She never uses it as crutch to fall back on, she knows her limits and she knows when to conceed to those who may know more than her.


Then there is Keil, he's ALPHA, but yet he handles Robyn with care. He finds a way to easy the communication between them, he never lets her feel inferior and protects her without smothering her. And heck he's just downright Sexy.


Keil's brother and Robyn's brother both make appearences and their brief parts of the storyline were engaging enough to have me hunting up Ms. Arend's website to see what she has planned next for this series. I guess that's probably the biggest compliment I can give any author, to want more from her right away means she wrote something that spoke to the reader.


Witty dialogue and Robyn are probably what impressed me the most and of course the sex was smoking hot and the love story believable. That's the beauty of the werewolf paranormal genre, mates meet and they just know.


I really enjoyed WOLF SIGNS, I'll definitely be looking for more from Ms. Arend in the future.


8 out of 10

4 comments:

  1. This is only available in e-book format, right? It sounds good and it has a gorgeous cover!!! Me want it now!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah it is only available in eBook.

    I'm sure it will be in print soon enough. Samhain usually takes about 6 months or so to issue eBooks in print.

    Do you only read Print Nath?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep ^_^; I know, I know... should start making the shift, but still hasn't...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jenn.

    Not sure if it's kosher to drop in here, but thank you for the wonderful review! I'm so glad you enjoyed Wolf Signs!

    Robyn is one of my favorite characters, and I'm very pleased to tell you that I've sold book two in the series, Wolf Flight, and it will be releasing from Samhain in the fall. Robyn and Keil are back, as is TJ, but the story is about Robyn's brother Tad and his sweetie, Missy, a runway Omega wolf.

    I also have another story out in July- with water shifters- called Tidal Wave. I hope you get a chance to check it out when the summer arrives.

    All the best!

    Vivian Arend

    ReplyDelete